The design solutions were very complex due to a variety of code constraints caused by a redevelopment effort that was partially completed in the late ’80s. Some of the work from the ’80s remained and was used in the final solution, while certain new requirements were waived under the historic building code. All new structural work was required to bring together the two separate buildings constructed in 1913 and 1926, one steel frame and one concrete frame. Years of adaptations and changes had to be sorted out to bring the building with its six stories of office over the first floor retail into one operation.
A 350,000 S.F., mixed-use project of retails and offices within a historic landmark in downtown Oakland. Architectural Dimensions managed a very complex group of agencies, consultants and contractors to renovate and retrofit the building to meet present codes.